Thursday, May 31, 2012

My hero

There may be someone out there that just LOVES Spongebob, but most of us just tell ourselves and everyone else that we do in hopes of tricking our brains into not being completely and utterly annoyed when our children watch it. Afterall, mind over matter sometimes works.  As you know, you can find Spongebob on at least one channel 24 hours a day. I’m pretty sure that there are subliminal messages being forced into our brains when we look into Spongebob’s eyes. Anyway, the best thing happened to our family about a month ago. Ben became very interested in cowboys after spending a couple evenings with his grandpa who showed Ben how “cool” black and white westerns can be. Keep in mind that Ben is not even 3 yet, but he loved this. Out with the Spongebob and in with…..THE LONE RANGER! Yes, really! Although, if you remember much of the Lone Ranger, it may not sound appealing to you, but I’ll gladly take it over Spongebob any day! When the Lone Ranger was on the other day Ben ran to the refrigerator and grabbed an eye mask, then to his room for his cowboy hat. If The Lone Ranger isn’t on TV, since it’s not quite as popular as Spongebob these days, Gunsmoke or any other western that is displayed in black and white will suffice, but it’s definitely not the favorite choice.
This morning, in a hurry as usual because I can’t pull myself out of bed, I was rushing Ben to “finish eating,” “get dressed,” and “find your shoes!” Well, Ben absolutely does not wear shoes anymore, he wears cowboy boots. It has recently been 80 degree weather, and still the cowboy boots! Kids are so weird sometimes, but that is not a fight that I’m willing to have at 6:15 am when I’m trying to get to work on time, so go ahead and put your damn cowboy boots on!
It’s funny to watch children grow up and admire one person (or character) one day, and then completely forget about them the next. It’s so interesting to me to see what and who our children’s heroes are and to learn why our children are so intrigued with these “characters.” I hope that someday, the Lone Ranger will fade into the depths of lil Ben’s brain and his heroes will become real people who have done real things to make a difference in his life. I have faith this will happen, but right now, my biggest hero is my little Lone Ranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment