Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I Married My DAD

            I had the best childhood. I grew up with a mom and a dad who loved me, 2 older brothers who spoiled me, and all of the ponies and kittens that any little girl could ever dream of. Dolls were not for me, and as I grew older I became much closer with my dad than my mom. I would much rather ride the tractor with my dad than be in the house helping mom with dinner…how lame…and how “Suzie homemaker”. Now, I don’t want you to think that my mother was a pushover by any means or that she lived to serve her children and husband, she did this all out of necessity rather than desire, but my dad definitely expected dinner on the table when he got home from work and laundry washed and ready for him. As frustrated as my mom would get at times, she never stood up for herself, or at least I never saw it. I specifically remember an argument that my mom and I got into when I was in college. She had complained about something that my dad had, or hadn’t done, and I said to her, “I would have never married anyone like dad, and if I did I would have trained him better.” Yes, I said TRAINED, believe it or not, there are lots of similarities between your husband and your golden retriever, he may be very loyal but it takes a lot of training on the front end to turn him into a good dog…I mean husband. Anyway, after that comment that I had made to my mom, I don’t really remember many other details, but I can only assume that I slammed a door, stormed out, and drove over to my ever-caring and tentative boyfriend’s house. My mom didn’t talk to me for a long time, probably 2 weeks, and for someone like me who thrives on conversation, that was an eternity of pure hell. I felt bad, but not because of what I had said, only because of how it had hurt my mom, but damn…stand up for yourself once in a while! He walks all over you! As a child, this is how I had perceived their relationship. My dad said mean things when they were fighting, and was thoughtless at times…and very selfish. I loved and still do love him more than anything…as a dad, but as a husband he would be a difficult person to be married to. He was, and still is at times so selfish.
            Time passed and I dated…A LOT…and had a lot of different boyfriends who were always great. They cared what I thought, they spoiled me with attention and affection, and told me all of the time how great I was. I loved this! Then…I saw Adam. I had just landed my first real job out of college and during the first staff meeting when I was being introduced to everyone, I saw him. “That’s the man I’m going to marry.” Stop…I laugh at everyone else that believes in love at first sight too, but mine was real, honestly. Shortly after this initial sighting, we started talking, and hanging out, and dating. It didn’t take long, I was head over heels in love with this guy. He was everything I wanted and it all just felt so natural, and comfortable. It wasn’t until after we were married that I realized why everything felt so natural and comfortable, I had married my dad.
 People say that you turn into your mother, apparently I have, although I’m working on the training! I understand now why my mom stuck with it. My dad, and my husband are great…buttheads (to say the least) sometimes, but great and frustrating all at the same time. My husband likes to tell me that I don’t take on enough challenges, but what he doesn’t see is that THIS is the biggest challenge of my life…and I’m not going to give up until he graduates from obedience school!

No comments:

Post a Comment