Sunday, February 28, 2016

Your Mom Still Takes Care of You

It shouldn’t take a four year old to remind me how spectacular and lucky I am to have such an amazing mom. I know it, I think it, but I am so used to it that I don’t always appreciate it. 

My little lady was very bored tonight, four year old bored....meaning that her response to every suggestion was, “I’ve already done that or I’ve already seen that toy today.” All of that translates to, “Mom...entertain me.” Those of you that know me well, know that I’m terrible at entertaining my children, especially if it doesn’t have to do with sports or movies! Anyway, she was desperate for entertainment and asked if she could sit on my lap and watch me work on the computer. Yes, of course, that’s easy, and how can anyone say no to a perfect little angel face asking to sit on your lap? Right...you can’t. So as I lifted her once tiny body onto my lap, I pretended to struggle to lift her...she always laughs at this! 

Me: “Oh my gosh Presley, you’re getting so big. I can barely lift you anymore! (She giggled) I don’t know if I like you getting big.”

Presley: “You want me to stay little?” 

Me: “Well, I just like you being little because then I can take care of you.” 

Presley: “You can take care of me when I’m big too. I’ll let you. Your mom takes care of you. She cooked you dinner today, and gave you water, and loves you.” 

Of course then I wanted to cry. She was right. Very right. We visit with my mom often and she has never stopped being a mom. We go to visit and play, she feeds me. I mention needing a phone number for something, she finds it. I mention having a headache, or any other type of ailment, she makes a diagnosis! I get hung up at work, she picks up the kids from school and handles the afternoon routine. 

“Momming” never ends. I should know this. A lot of people are fortunate to share this experience, but I think it goes unappreciated by so many. Our little conversation also reassured me that I’ll still be able to take care of my babies forever. 


No comments:

Post a Comment