Thursday, July 12, 2012

I Appreciate it

        
    Once again, this e-card hit home. After carefully placing things on the top of the trash can like we were playing a game of Jenga for 3 days, I finally gave in…sort of. I pulled the trash out, tied the overflowing bag, and placed it by the door so it could be taken out to the road by the next person that used that door…which obviously wasn’t going to be me! Usually this is not a big deal, and most of the household cleaning responsibilities are lackadaisically completed by me. But I was tired, and rather than just asking Adam to take the trash out, I waited…and stewed inside…and grew more annoyed every time I had to strategically place my piece of trash in an open crevice to avoid a landslide. Okay, I’ve never once claimed to be good at this marriage thing or that I’m mature…so stop judging me! Fine..I’ll pull the trash, but I AM NOT TAKING IT OUTSIDE! That’s where my line was drawn; this line is undetectable to men.
            When I awoke the following morning…my wishes had been fulfilled. The trash had been taken to the road, I’m very appreciative, but apparently I’ve misplaced that little part of me that dishes out praise or bakes cookies to show my appreciation. What I’m wondering is why do men expect a reward for a job well done when it comes to the everyday mundane chores that are just a part of so many women’s lives? Yes, you took out the trash…thank you! In the one hour following my arrival home from work I pick the kids up from daycare, unload them from the car, prepare a quick meal for the family, feed the dogs and cats, and clean the backpacks, clothes, mail off of the table so we have a place to sit…oh, and usually within this hour I’ve put the fire out on some huge tantrum that was thrown because my little cowboy didn’t want to eat what I was making for dinner! But…thank you so much for carrying the trash that I’ve pulled out of the garbage can to the road, I appreciate it! After dinner, the dishes are put into the dishwasher, the kids bath has been started, pajamas laid out, cleaned the floor (this consists of me letting the dogs in to inhale all of the food particles that have fallen or been dropped on the floor during dinner) and played “guys” with Ben (this consists of me talking in some weird man voice while making a Spiderman figurine fly, swim, and have conversations with Ben’s Batman figurine.) But thank you for taking that trash out, it was really helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment