Thursday, May 24, 2012

"Mini Vacation"

It's soon to be Memorial Day weekend, the 1 year anniversary of the Tornado that broke my house last year, we'll call him Tornado Aaron (hurricanes get names, why can't the tornado that broke my house?). Anyway, that's all beside the point. It's Memorial Day weekend and I'm mentally preparing myself for the beginning of Softball season. For those of you who aren't familiar or haven't heard me complain in real life, fastball season is comparable to "the other woman" in our marriage. May through September every year is a time when Adam believes that we take "mini vacations" on all of our weekends. What he doesn't understand is that these "mini vacations" consist of Adam PLAYING softball and hydrating himself with beer and me chasing kids around making sure foul balls don't crush their lil skulls! Oh, but after the games it's always time for the pool where I drag my stretch-marked body into the pool to supervise the numerous children who are jumping and splashing and gasping for air when they sink because none of them can swim yet (everyone on the team has children under age 4), all while Adam relaxes his "sore muscles" in the hot tub. Afterall, it's hard on a man's body to stand on first base in the 90 degree weather all day. I should have some compassion here, but I don't, I wasn't born with it, nor have I ever developed it (This may be my one and only flaw)! Okay, back to my point...it's so hard not to think about 4 years ago when none of us had children and these fastball tournaments were indeed "mini vacations" where the girlfriends, none of us were married WAY BACK THEN, actually enjoyed the games. This was the time when we enjoyed watching our guys play ball, and damn...they looked so good out there in those uniforms, hitting homeruns, running around those bases! Now, most of our guys have developed some love handles, the girlfriends have turned to wives with stretchmarks and hair pulled back in pony tails to prevent baby barf from getting caught in it, and iced tea instead of Mike's Hard Lemonade.  Remember, the more we drank, the better they ALWAYS looked! I miss those "good old days" sometimes, but I think I'm almost ready for my "mini vacation" this weekend.

This was me....before kids!


No comments:

Post a Comment