Friday, June 1, 2012

7th Street

    A couple weeks ago my parents called me and said they were headed to Grand Rapids for the day and did the kids and I want to go?  They had planned to stop at 2 stores and then, if we went, go to the John Ball Park Zoo.  Kurt was going to be gone all day so I figured, why not?!?!?!  Would be fun and give us all something to do! 
    We all know driving on trips, whether long or short, are not always enjoyable with tots and babes, but, well, 1 hour and 15 minutes would be better than some trips we've taken so I packed toys, DVD's, DVD player, books, diaper bag, and snack bag and got loaded in my dad's truck.  We were half way there when Tyler started asking, "where we goin', mom?"  "are we there yet, mom?" over and over and over-and I finally reached the point that he'd ask and I'd re-ask HIM and he'd answer 'zoo' and 'no' as I had done 1 gazillion times in the last 15 minutes!!!!!
    Well, we got to the first store and my dad said he'd run in really quick and be right back. . . .uh, huh-men do NOT understand that term and should NOT be allowed to use it. . .40 minutes or so later, my dad came walking back to the truck and we all headed down the road. 
My parents decided to skip the second store but thats when I discovered that I had left the baby food and snack bag at home-whoops!  Kendall would be hungry half-way through the zoo, so we stopped at Walgreens so I could run in and grab what I needed.   Yes, I know Walgreens can be pricey but sometime I think I pay more for the mere convenience. . .
    10 minutes later we are headed to the zoo.  Tyler starts asking me, "Mom, where we going?" and I decided to make it a game.  I said, "Tyler we are looking for the zoo and there should be signs.   If you see a sign tell Papa so he knows where to go."  Tyler got this BIG smile on his face and said, "Nana, Papa, Mommy, if you see a sign, yell 'SIGN'!"  And the search began. . .after a couple quick attempts to find a sign then read letters off signs, Tyler said, "Papa, we're looking for 7th Street".  "7th Street?" I said, "Mom, did you tell Tyler the zoo was on 7th Street".  My mom said, "No, it's not on 7th Street".  Hmm, interesting, I don't even KNOW of a 7th Street, I thought.  Again, Tyler says, "Papa, the zoo is on 7th Street and Grover Lane."  At this point I finally get it! hahaha. . ."Tyler, do you mean Sesame Street and Grover Lane?" as I thought, 'when did Tyler start watching Sesame Street?'  Tyler said, "yeah, mom, the zoo is on Grover Lane and Sesame Street!"  Ah, so this is when it starts, huh?  The male species thinking they know exactly where to go and do not need directions, just signs with zoo and Sesame Street.  Makes sense-Dora follows a map to get where she needs to go. . .The wonder that even children's tv shows the distinct difference between male and female.  We arrived at the zoo about 10 minutes later and it wasn't on Sesame Street, Grover Lane, OR 7th Street.

In the truck, leaving the zoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment