Tuesday, May 29, 2012

It must be a conspiracy

I have to believe that most, if not all women who have children and are in a relationship with a man wonder where they went wrong or what did I get myself into?  You may not wonder this all of the time, but be honest…it has crossed your mind, some of us more than others.
As I’ve mentioned before, I love my husband more than he’ll ever understand, but……what happened to 50/50? Compromise? Sacrifice?  I’m beginning to understand what this means, and yes I consider myself a slow learner. Ben is almost 3 now and it has taken me this long, but I continue to fight the battle…maybe I think I’m going to “win one” for women everywhere, but I probably won’t! So back to my point...I think I understand what our church pastors, marriage counselors, mothers, and annoying aunts mean when they say that marriage and raising children is life changing and it takes a lot of compromise and sacrifice.

1.     Sacrifice: women being willing to gain weight, stretch marks, and more patience than we ever knew we could have. Losing sleep when our babies (or husbands) are hungry, teething, or having nightmares. Giving up the control over our lives that we once had…whether you want to admit it or not, youngsters (and husbands) often determine where we go out to eat (if you are brave enough to go at all),where we shop, how far we travel, and what movies we go see…c’mon, when is the last time you took your babies (or husbands) to see the latest Matthew McConaughey film?

2.    Compromise: getting into an argument over something that you are OBVIOUSLY right about, but giving in to your husband (or children) to avoid a scene while in public. Letting your husband (or kids) watch or listen to their favorite tv shows so you can have a little free time for yourself (which usually consists of cleaning up after dinner or folding laundry). Allowing your husband (or kids) to “fix” whatever may or may not be broken so they can feel like a “provider” even though it probably would have been completed 4 days sooner if you would have just called a professional (or done it yourself!)

3.    50/50: This is simple, 50/50 is loosely translated to mean 80/20.

       So…why couldn’t they just tell us these things before we got married and had babies? Because if they would have told us these things, we probably would have avoided marriage and children all together causing a huge decrease in the human population. It must be a conspiracy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment