Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Remember

I sit next to a girl at work who is having her first baby.  I think I had almost forgotten those 10 months of my pregnancy with Tyler.  But as she tells me her day to day experiences I remember, boy, do I remember.  I remember the first ultra-sound at 12 weeks.  I was alone at the dr's office because Kurt was running late.  The tech held off for as long as she could because she knew I wanted Kurt to be there but she finally took me in a room and put that warm lube on my belly.  I wanted to cry and smile all at the same time.  There my baby was-so perfect, even at 12 weeks he was the most beautiful thing I had EVER seen.  After a minute, there was a knock on the door and Kurt walked in.  When I said, 'hey babe' and he responded with 'hey honey' the baby went from laying COMPLETELY still to jumping around like a little Mexican jumping bean and waving his arms like he knew his dad had just walked in.  Or maybe the baby sensed my relief and joy?  For whatever reason, it was DARLING. 
At 22 weeks I remember sitting on the couch with Kurt (we are both cuddlers and sit very close to each other).  Kurt's elbow was basically resting on the side of my stomach.  He had yet to feel the baby move and all of a sudden Kurt's elbow was kicked off me stomach! haha. . .Kurt said, 'was that the baby?' and I said, 'yeah, pretty cool, huh?'  Kurt rested his arm back on my stomach and we both settled back in to watch the movie we had started but I don't think either of us were really focused.  All I could think of was about this little bundle of joy that would soon be mine and he/she (we didn't find out the sex of either of our babies) had already changed my world and made me the happiest woman/mother EVER!
I remember having my first contractions at 32 weeks and going to the hospital where they gave me tons of IV meds to stop labor.  While doing this the nurse and the doctor warned me of all the possibilities that could happen if this baby decided not to stay in 'there' til term.  Petrified I remember thinking and praying, "Oh, God, please let everything be ok and make this baby STAY PUT".  God answered my prayers because, although I was on bed rest from week 34-40, Tyler was born a DAY AFTER his due date!  3/25/09 I gave birth to a beautiful and healthy baby boy. 
I don't want anyone to think I didn't enjoy my second pregnancy as much, it was just different.  I couldn't just sit on the couch and take joy in all the squirming-I was too busy chasing a 2 yr old! I couldn't just blissfully imagine what would and COULD be someday.  I was living it everyday and yes, I have so much joy, but we all have to admit as mothers, some days are HARD and not so enJOYable! 
I remember more with Kendall while I was at work-or maybe that was the only time I could really focus on the tumbling in my belly.  While Tyler liked to kick me in my ribs, Kendall liked to roll her booty across my belly! haha. . .so fun.  So, as the young women around me and you get pregnant 1 by 1 and have these moments, I encourage us all to just, remember.

1 comment: