Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Is the grass really greener?

My typical day begins with a 7:30am coffee clatch meeting at my desk. My besties and I gather with our different types of caffeinated beverages. The meeting always starts with a different person asking, "how was your night?" That always starts the "I can top that" conversations of everyone talking over the top of everyone else about what stupid thing their man did the night before and how we as women have to put up with so much "crap" to receive what seems like so little appreciation.  We all know that there's nothing more frustrating than having the house spotless, only to watch your hubby put some dirty dishes back in the sink and leave his dirty socks on the living room floor. It's so easy to complain about our significant others, almost too easy when you have such amazing friends that can relate. We often talk about how we should leave our husbands, take our children, and all move in together! How fun, it'd be like college again (but with kids)! We don't need the men, we got what we wanted from them (our babies), and damn, the nights when they're too busy to be home to help with dinner and kids things often run a lot smoother! Think about it, how much fun would it be to live in a huge house with all of your best friends and all of the kids together? I know what you're thinking....Sister Wives....but without the man! Yes!

But then what would we do without our man? I've only been married for 3 1/2 years, but I am still and hope to always be "in love" with Adam. What would I do without him? As much as "the good old days" sound appealing, I don't think the grass is any greener there. I loved my life then, but that was then, and there is no way that I would want to give up the comfort and stability that I have in my life now. I know that when I go to bed at night, the love of my life will be in shortly and at any point during the night I can wake him up to hold me when I have a bad dream...yes, I still do this! Who has nightmares as an adult? I do! I know that he will be there to listen and gossip with me when I have a juicy secret that I'm not supposed to tell anyone else. C'mon, you know you do that too because we know that our men really don't care enough about gossip to run to work to tell their buddies, let alone remember it the next day. And I know that he'll always be there to be the best dad in the world. Watching Benji carry his tool box outside to help dad fix the lawnmower and watching Presley give him her toothless smile as she so excitedly falls into his arms whenever he comes near is a feeling that can never be replaced, and would never happen if I lived in the makeshift sorority house. So, even though he makes me so mad sometimes, mad enough to "break up if we weren't married," I wouldn't trade it for anything. Sorry girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment