Thursday, May 24, 2012

Will You Jump Me?

Believe it or not, I actually asked this question twice last night-within the span of an hour.  While I'd like to spill how I'm a duracel battery, alas it wasn't that kind of 'jump'.  I have to tell you a little bit of background before I get to my nightmare of an evening.
1st: we have 2 vehicles but only 1 that we actually drive.  Kurt has a work van but other than going to a lumber store or to the motorcycle track, it really doesn't travel all that often.  The majority of our traveling is done in my taurus-a 2000. . .yup-enough said.  Both of us take my car individually and jointly.
2nd: I co-teach a class Wednesday nights at my church.  A class of 3-5 year olds.  We started out with 5, we are now at 11 children.  For those of you who aren't parents, 2-5 is the best and worst ages ever just because they have so much energy and drain all mine! And they aren't the best listeners. . . . 
3rd:  While I'm not always 'on time', I'm usually within the ball park of 10 minutes from when I want to be somewhere.  Kurt, on the other hand, is within the ball park of an hour.
Ok, now that you know backgrounds let my story begin:
Last night (Wednesday) I got home from work about 4:22 p.m.  Thats a few minutes later than usual but I had to stop in traffic while some police officers took an unsuspecting man down and cuffed him-was an entertaining traffic stop and definitely didn't mind watching that!  When I got home Kurt told me he wanted to run to the post office.  Oh, when Kurt says he wants to run to 1 place, it usually means he is going to make 2 stops.  When he says 2 stops he means 3 or more. . .So when he told me he had to run to the P.O. I said, "don't be late because I HAVE to leave at 6.  Tonight is my night to teach and I have to set some stuff up and make copies".  He said, "I won't" then he ran into his room, changed into gym clothes and came back to our front door hopping while he tied his tennis shoes.  I said, "Post office?" He said, "well, I think I'm going to go to the gym, too." Once again, I reminded him that it was CRUCIAL he be on time!!!! And, as always, he PROMISED he would be.  In my mind I went "uh-huh" while rolling my eyes mentally but I smiled and kissed him good bye.  
I'm going to jump ahead now because you don't need specifics-you all know how getting kids ready goes. . .6:15 p.m.  I call Kurt for the 4th time.  Tyler and I are standing by the door WAITING for my car so we can go to class-yup, same 1 that I'm teaching tonight and starts at 6:30!  He AGAIN tells me he is just seconds away-funny how that's been the response since 6:08!  6:21, Tyler and I are in the car and I'm racing to church-on an empty tank. Apparently Kurt had done enough traveling that he had gone through the rest of the gas and didn't get anymore-err.  Anyway, we get to church right at 6:31!!! Good thing I don't teach this class alone.  Kids are HORRIBLE the whole 1 1/2 hours. . .and I tell the other teacher, my friend I'll call "S", "these are the moments when I never want to teach this class again".
Kids are finally gone and "S" and I walk out to our cars with our kids.  We are the last 2 people at the church, we've been chatting it up for a while.  We both get in our cars and, yup, my car won't start!  I holler at her, "WILL you jump me?"
NOW is when the evening gets interesting: neither of us know what we are doing so I call my dad to walk me through this.  He says "red is positive and black is negative.  Don't let the 2 clamps touch each other."  S's car was running so I clamped the cables to her car first, "red positive", k. . .now, I was holding the clamps for my car.  I let them touch and sparks flew-which reminded me of what my dad had said but only after I jumped and threw the clamps down on the ground together. . .so they sparked until they jumped apart.  When there were no longer sparks I picked up the clamps and attached them to my car, the whole time wondering if my life was about to end.  I got in my car and turned the key-SUCCESS!  Yay! Unclamped both cars and drove. . .to Meijers.  I needed groceries and didn't have a second thought about turning my car off so soon after I had to get a jump!  Yes, I know, ok, I know, NOW I know-so if you want to judge or even throw a thought of "You should've known" my way, where were YOU last night?
Finished my grocery shopping (which took longer because I had to walk past all the fish tanks 2 times so Tyler would behave-hey, you do what you gotta do, right moms?) and walked out to my car.  Loaded Tyler and groceries and, DANG! Car is dead!  At this point I want to lay my head on my steering wheel and cry-but as I as about to do so, I realized I couldn't roll my windows down and it was 85 degrees in my car.  Tyler started crying, "mom, the cars broke and we are STUCK?!?!?!?"  Did I say my thoughts out loud or does my child have the ability to read my mind?  My phone started ringing, it was my dad.  I told him my battery was dead again and he started lecturing how I should've known better.  I told him bye and hung up on him mid-sentence.  Look, I've had a really rough evening and at 9:45 I realize it's going to get worse until it gets better and I don't need to be lectured.  Soon the lady parked in front of me comes out to her car and I say, "Will you jump me?"  She says, yeah, but I don't even know how to open my hood.  Ah, a new Honda CRV. . .I don't know either lady, but I smile and just say, "Mind if I try?"  She scoots over and I find the latch and open the hood.  I then open my trunk (hello you trusty old cables) and open my hood.  I'm becoming an expert on this but I tell the lady I've only done this 1 other time ( I DO NOT tell her it was less than an hour ago).  So, she starts freaking out and shouting at every person coming out of Meijer-'do you know how to jump cars??? This girl is gonna die!'  This lady is now freaking me out and I'm afraid to attach it to MY car. . .dang, and how is EVERYONE coming out of Meijer on a Wednesday night female and mechanically dumb like I am?!?!?!?!?  Anyway, my car started again and I thanked the lady and closed both hoods, threw the cables in my trunk and got back in the car. 
My car is out of gas so I stop at the gas station but pump with my car on-I know, breaking the #1 rule but whatever, I'm thinking by this time, I wouldn't mind blowing up!  Get in the car and Tyler screams, "I'm hungry, mom.  I want a cheeseburger from McDonald's".  McDonalds is our weekly treat after church on Wednesdays and he has been SO good so, McDonalds then home. . .ah, home. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment