Wednesday, August 1, 2012

What's Daddy Saying?

          I arrived home around 5:30 last night from work, my energy was lacking…dinner was going to have to be postponed a few minutes. With Presley in my arms, I retreated to my basement hideout, turned on the TV and nearly fell asleep….nearly. Presley wasn’t going to let that happen of course. After a few minutes of the little bit of relaxation that one can have while watching an infant, I dragged myself off the couch and upstairs to start getting dinner around. I had not been sleeping well, and the 10 minute “almost nap” didn’t revive me…dinner was going to be eggs and hotdogs. Perfect combination, right? At least something in the mix is healthy, right? The side dishes to my dinner fit for cowboys and little princesses were frozen rasberries, cherry tomatoes, and two different kinds of potato chips for lil Benji. I’m pretty sure if allowed he would make potato chips his entire meal any day of the week! Adam was on his own tonight, he wasn’t feeling the eggs and hotdogs.
          As Adam and I talked about the day and the frustrations I had been having with my recent lack of “me” time and feeling so run down, you know, the usual talks that every mom has with every dad when the children are young. Althought it appeared that Benji was preoccupied with his bbq and plain potato chips, he was indeed listening. They’re ALWAYS listening, but they don’t always know what we’re saying. About 10 minutes after Adam and I had moved on with other things, and the conversation and ceased, Ben says, “mommy, what was Daddy saying when he was talking to your boobies?” Of course, I had no idea what he was talking about. I replied with, “Benji, dude, I have no idea what you are asking me.” And again, “What did Daddy mean when he was talking to your boobies?” Now Adam interjects with, “What on earth is he asking?” Meanwhile, Presley is gumming down frozen raspberries, she obviously didn’t care who was talking to my boobies. I satisfied Ben’s curiosity by explaining to him that his daddy was not talking to my boobies, and that he was in fact, talking to my face! 
          I remember when I was a young child staying with my cousins while my mom worked. We were all riding our trikes and toys in a circle in the driveway. My younger cousin had stopped, which in turn caused all of the followers to stop. One of the on-looking adults said, “Thomas…move ahead.” Little Tommy stared and continued to sit still. “Thomas, move ahead,” a little more stern this time. And again, Tommy didn’t move. A third time, “THOMAS, MOVE AHEAD!” Tommy got up off of his toy, walked to the closest cousin behind him on a different toy, placed his hands on their head and turned it sideways. He had moved a head, he did exactly what he had been told to do! That story has been in our family for years and it always gets a laugh out of anyone we tell it to! It makes you understand how literal children take our words and actions. I have no idea how Ben got the idea that his daddy was talking to my boobies during our conversation, but obviously something must have happened or a word was said that he interpreted in a different way. Next time Adam and I need to have a conversation though, I’ll be sure to make sure he’s looking at my face the whole time!

No comments:

Post a Comment