Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Maybe Just a Few Bruises...


            Once again, the guilt overwhelmed me the other day as I had anticipated a semi-long evening run all day while at work.  You see, I’m currently training for a half-marathon…you know, the type of activity that screams I’m far too lazy to train for a full marathon, but I’m way better than everyone that only runs 5Ks!  Completely kidding, I don’t judge people who don’t work out…most of the time! Anyway, you can imagine that training for a half marathon in only 2 months requires a bit of a time commitment, time that I had been spending away from my kiddos. Adam has been supportive in my quest and has been available to be home whenever I’ve needed to take one of my scheduled runs, but that doesn’t take away from the guilt mom’s often have when they aren’t spending enough quality time with their babies. I realized that I hadn’t been around enough when both kids were clinging to Adam and wanting to sit on his lap in the evenings rather than mine. As annoying as it gets sometimes when your children hang all over you, it’s pretty disconcerting when you realize that they don’t want to hang on you anymore. So, to make myself feel a little better, I asked Benji if he wanted to go for a run with me. This perked his interest, but he wasn’t completely sure if he wanted to tag along until I told him that we could stop at the playground on the way home. A little bribe here and there to regain the title of favorite parent never hurt anyone! I got myself dressed in my running gear, Ben put on his favorite pair of cowboy boots and then climbed into my running stroller.

            And….we were off. As we rolled out of the driveway, a fine mist fell over us. I assumed that the skies would clear and we would be fine, so we continued on our venture. It had been a while since I had taken Benji running with me, and it wasn’t until then that I realized he’d grown a little. As if pushing the 30+ pound stroller wasn’t enough, we successfully added 30+ more pounds to it with my lil man. I’m failing to remember why we have nicknamed him Tiny. Before we reached the end of our street I had changed my plan of a semi-long run, to a condensed run with muscle building and weight resistance. As we strolled on with what seemed like the speed of a sloth, the mist turned into a drizzle.  As we rounded mile 2ish, the drizzle turned into a rain….and around mile 3 as we finally reached the playground, the rain had turned into a downpour. Hoping that Big Tiny had changed his mind about the playground, I let him make the decision to stop and play or continue home to get out of the rain. Of course he wanted to stop and play….he’s 3. Since I was already dripping with rainwater I convinced myself that there was no harm in staying to play, we couldn’t really get any more wet than we were already. So we stayed. Benji was so excited, as usual, about the slides and he asked me to slide with him. Being the little daredevil that he is, he chose the biggest, curly cue slide to go down. We both climbed to the top, him in his cowboy boots and me in my soggy tennis shoes. Ben went first. He reached the bottom and called for me to come down, so I did…and at 104 mph I slid down that thing, nearly flew out of one of the turns and bruised my elbow along the way. I felt like I was an extra in the movie Cool Runnings. (If you don’t know what that is, look it up, I’m disappointed in you!) As the end of the slide came into sight I braced myself and my feet for the landing…but my soggy feet were not prepared to stop a body flying at 104 mph. Being the age that I am, and through the many experiences I’ve had in my life with common water, I should have anticipated that the slide would be much more slippery when wet, but I didn’t. Needless to say, I flew out of the end of that slide about 3 feet, landed flat on my butt, covered myself in woodchips, and woke up the next day with a bruised hip…and ego! Ben thought it was absolutely hilarious and laughed the entire way home threatening to tell his daddy that “mommy fell on her butt!” He was right though, it was pretty hilarious and if anyone saw me, besides Ben, I’m sure they also got a good laugh out of it. Sometimes as a parent you have to remember how to be a kid, at least once in a while…I promise it’ll make for some amazing memories, and maybe just a few bruises!
This is not the exact piece of playground equipment that we were using,
 however the actual slide itself is the same.  And....that's
enough laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment