Sunday, August 5, 2012

He Needs a Toothbrush


            “Please take me out for a very surprising and super romantic date Saturday night after the kids go to bed.”  I anxiously awaited a reply to this text message that I had sent to my husband on Thursday. And nothing.  I shouldn’t say nothing, but it seemed like forever. I waited a couple of hours before getting the okay for my “surprise date!” Saturday night rolled around, we had a babysitter, and not knowing where we were going I slipped on a flowery summer dress, 1 inch heels, and straightened my hair…I figured this look could fit in most places! Luckily, I was right. Adam took me to a nice restaurant that I had never been to, our food was decent, but more importantly…we were out on a date, no kids, just us! People always say that you shouldn’t talk about your kids, or anything else that could be a stressful topic while out on a date with your spouse, it should be a time to reconnect and rekindle. Well, I don’t know about everyone else, but we ALWAYS talk about our kids when we’re away from them! As we started reminiscing, I was reminded of some of the fears that I had before giving birth to my first child. Below is a list of 5 of the things that scared me most…

1. Will my husband ever want to have sex with me again after watching me give birth?

2. I’ve heard that people poop during child birth…OMG…I CAN’T EVEN FART IN FRONT OF HIM!

3. Adam trying to be reassuring, but scaring the hell out of me with this statement, “Raising a kid can’t be that much different from having a puppy.” And yes, he was serious.

4. As we’re registering for baby items for my upcoming shower Adam says in a panic, “We have to register for a toothbrush. He is going to need a toothbrush. If we don’t brush his teeth he’ll get mildew in his mouth.” (Really?? Mildew? He doesn't even have teeth.)

5. In this hospital awaiting my emergency C-Section Adam says, “I’ve heard it’s just like gutting a deer.”

            After the fear that these statements and thoughts had filled me with, I was pretty sure that I’d be a single parent after a month!  Apparently I was the only one concerned that parenting would be difficult, and definitely the only one concerned that Adam wouldn’t ever look at me the same way after watching me give birth. Although he was fearful of mildew building in our soon-to-be born baby’s mouth, he didn’t seem worried about much else, even as I was in labor at the hospital. I had no idea how I was going to do all of this alone, I had forever only been responsible for myself and my dogs…and dogs are easy, most of the time. According to my husband a baby wasn’t going to be any different. Thankfully, my fears became his reality…well some of them. The c-section was similar, but not quite like “gutting a deer.”  We both quickly realized that when the baby cried or didn’t want to sleep at night, we couldn’t kennel him or put him in the garage. Adam realized that mildew doesn’t form inside of baby’s mouths. And I learned how a man changes after his child is born. He fell in love with lil Ben. He became a daddy, and now that Benji is 3, he loves to play ball with his daddy. My irrational fears are gone, although maybe not that irrational, but they are gone. Now I’m onto a whole new set of irrational fears…like the world coming to an end in a few months and accidentally farting in my sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment