Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Time Machine


            After a very frustrating and defeating few days at home, I decided to take a little of that selfishness without guilt that the XY chromosomes carry and steal it for myself. After a few quick and witty texts back and forth with a girlfriend whose husband happened to be out of the house for the day, I grabbed the remaining ice cream that was in my freezer and a box of family sized brownie mix and headed over to her house…alone. I left the kids and dogs with my husband. Before leaving my house I told Adam that we’d be working on “baby stuff” as my friend happens to be pregnant, this assured that he wouldn’t ask any questions about my secret plans. For no reason at all other than my comment about working on “baby stuff,” I was already feeling a little too sneaky. I headed out the door anyway…ice cream and brownies in hand. When I arrived at my destination, I was happy to see that she was still rocking her pajamas because I was completely un-showered and had carelessly thrown on a t-shirt that smelled like my dog. The ice cream went to the freezer for safekeeping, we spent about 13 minutes complaining about our husbands while mixing up the brownie batter and preparing our tantalizingly amazing lunch of crescents filled with pepperoni and cheese, and then set the timer…for heaven.  The crescents were ready first, so of course we grabbed a few for our plates and headed to the tv where we found a Sex and the City marathon. The brownies were soon finished, and although the crescents did a wonderful job of curbing our hunger, who can resist 2 hot brownies topped with cookies ‘n cream ice cream?          

See, Allison and I met in college and have remained close friends since that very first day we set up a meet and greet after searching long and hard throughout our entire college campus for a roommate. I don’t want to say that we were desperate for a roommate for the following year, but we were both at the point of panic when we were about 6 days from having to settle for the weird girl on campus that smelled like chicken noodle soup and had a pet chinchilla. Needless to say, we were happy to have found each other back then and I am so incredibly thankful that I still have her today to share stories, complaints, Sex and the City, and most importantly food. The same food that we ate daily when we were 21 with speedy metabolisms. With all of this paradise going on around me, I was temporarily able to forget that I was married, forget that I was a mom, and forget that I was a part of real society. With a box of “homemade” brownies, ice cream, and some excellent entertainment on the TV, I felt as if I had stepped into a time machine and had been taken back to our college apartment! No worries, no stress, lots of food, and lots of laughing. Our visit only lasted a couple of hours, but that was the most amazing few hours that I’ve had in a very long time!
This was a picture of us taken Halloween night "back then"


No comments:

Post a Comment