Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Batman

Mason, thrilled as usual.
          I’m not sure at what point I need to begin making my little cowboy join the real world, but honestly, I’m probably not going to worry about it anytime soon. I love the imagination of kids, and the innocence, and the fact that they truly believe that they can be anything they want to be when they grow up…including Batman. The other day I asked Benji what he wanted to be when he grew up, he had 2 answers. The first was “strong like daddy” and the second was “Batman.” It’s rare that we leave the house without some piece of Lone Ranger or super hero gear on, and we never, ever leave without the essential bright blue cowboy boots that only come off for bedtime. I’ve even entered the room several times to find little Presley or Mason, our puggle, wearing a cowboy hat that Ben has placed on their heads. Ben is living in a completely different world than anyone else at this point. In his world, he can be Superman, Batman, and the Lone Ranger in the same hour, he can “fly” off of chairs and not worry about feeling the effects of it the next day like an adult would, and he can feel unashamed when dressing up like his idols. We only get to do that on Halloween! As we leave the privacy of our home, Ben receives several compliments on his cowboy boots, but usually fails to take note of this as he sees nothing at all unusual about wearing cowboy boots, or capes, or masks while everyone else is dressed so generically. I can’t wait until Presley is a little bit older so I can take a fairy princess and a cowboy with a cape to the grocery store! I can’t emphasize enough, the innocence, imagination, and blissful unawareness that children have…and the fact that we stifle this by molding them into what everyone else thinks they should be. I wish that Benji could grow up to be Batman, but I doubt that he’ll ever have a job offer after showing up to an interview in a cape and mask…and cowboy boots! It’s inevitable, they will have to grow up and learn social norms, but for now, I’m going to hold on to my space ranger as long as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment