Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Where's the phone book?

There are several reasons why we fall “in like” or even “in love” with someone. I think many women, myself included, have always been attracted to men who are strong and sturdy, well-dressed and groomed, self-sufficient, and know how to keep their house clean (or at least picked up…we all know girl clean and guy clean are two completely different things). I mean, how impressive is it when a guy invites you to his apartment for the first time and it’s neat and clean? Awesome, right?  It’s okay to completely disregard the fact that he probably spent an hour cleaning right before you got there, but who cares…you’re “in like” with him! Remember the butterflies in your stomach, or throughout your entire body for that matter, when your windshield wiper needs to be replaced, or your check engine light comes on and he’s able to fix it? Remember all of this ladies? What happened to this man?
I’ll tell you what happened…you moved in! Apparently there is a chemical in a man’s brain that is activated exactly 9 days after your move in date that triggers him to begin to become dependent. Don’t get me wrong, he is still self-sufficient in many ways. He is still able to fill up his own gas tank, move the furniture when needed, take the clothes out of the dryer (and leave them unfolded in the chair), and shower…most days, although many of these activities now depend solely on your expert “supervision.” I remember one day at a previous job I ignored 3 consecutive phone calls from my husband, until I started to worry that something was wrong. Why would he call me 3 times in a row when he knows I can’t answer the phone unless I’m on break? So, needless to say, I stepped outside to call him back. In a panic he asks, “Where’s the phone book?” Yes, he called me 3 times because he didn’t know where the phone book was! Obviously I had no idea either, I was AT WORK! Shortly after this incident, I told his mother the story. She laughed and told me that before I moved in, she was the one that got the “where’s the phone book?” type of calls! So, maybe it’s not just when we moved in, they just did a better job of hiding it from us when we were still “in like” with them! That’s how they hooked us!
Is it nature or nurture that causes this to happen? Is it him becoming dependent, or is it us just wanting to do things our own way? I guess it’s probably a little of both. I know that I HATE the way he loads the dishwasher, so I do it, and he’s content with wearing wrinkly clothes to work, I’m not so I fold them! As for the phone book, I dunno…look for it yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment