Wednesday, June 6, 2012

7 pounds

     I know, I know, 7 pounds doesn't sound like a lot, but it feels like a lot when an unhealthy, out-of-shape 30 year old decides she is going to lose that in the next month. . .yup, talking about myself.  Today is my second day eating a salad for lunch and no pepsi-NO PEPSI!  Pepsi is my drug of choice.  Anyway, yesterday was the first day of my new diet.  Last night I went home and worked out for 1 1/2 hours.  Now, that 1 1/2 hours, although I'd LOVE to say was the hardest work-out that anyone has ever had, it probably could not be in my top 10.  I did a Jillian Michael's dvd, a Windsor Pilates Butt and Thigh DVD, and Power90 abs work out.  Did I mention my 3 year old and 10 month old were in the middle of it all?
     So, with toys spilled out all around me I attempted the Jillian Michaels DVD.  I moved toys and furniture and children around while working out to every circuit.  "Squat, squat, squat, jump" then me moving Kendall from pulling up on my leg as I squatted to the coffee table just in time for a jump.  During the kick boxing circuit, I tried to get Tyler to 'kick' and 'punch' the air with me but he just wanted to kick the chair, then our dog, then his alligator. . .whatever.  But then he tried to kick Kendall-I picked her up and now it was time to do abs and butts.  During the butt segment while I was on my hands and knees, the children kept climbing and falling off my back, again and again they did this as I again and again brought my leg back and up back and up. . .ok, butt done now I am to roll on my back and work my abs.  Kendall had climbed on my stomach and Tyler was leaning on my knees.  Finally, cool down and stretching.  After the DVD had finished, I just didn't feel like I got the ideal work-out (never gonna lose that 7 pounds that way) so I started the pilates DVD.  This DVD is mainly on the floor and during the next 30 minutes there was not a single whole minute that I did not have a kid climbing on me, jumping off me, or grabbing my leg.  Yup, another DVD and not yet feeling great so I figured I could use the abs work out.  Only 10 minutes in this work-out.  Kids took turns sitting on my stomach and leaning on my legs, but I got a good 10 minutes in this 1. . .who knows, maybe having an extra 20 lbs, give or take, will better benefit my exercises!
     My point?  Kurt goes to the gym 3-4 times a week and a couple miles on our street the other nights.  He gets to exercise in quiet.  My husband is in great shape and it makes me feel bad that I am not.  But, my 'work-outs' consist of jumping around with my children, dancing, laughing, sprawled out playing animals, etc.  When I TRY to do some 'real' exercising, I can't because my children expect me to give them my undivided attention.  Sure, I know that ours and men's physical make-up is different and it is just easier for them to lose weight and get in shape, but I'm not beginning to think that there are many more factors to men getting in shape easier and faster than we do.  If I went to the gym 3 times a week and ran the other nights while he stayed at home attempting to do a DVD while our children clung, grabbed, and cried on him, he'd probably have a more difficult time, too.
     Yup, 7 pounds doesn't seem like a lot, but given all the factors that will hinder me from doing what I need to do to say 'adios' to those, it might as well be 50 pounds!

1 comment:

  1. I have a great idea for you, you could come back to the gym with me and workout kid free :) and drop those 7 pounds....

    ReplyDelete