Monday, June 25, 2012

Ahhh...back home

We arrived home from our weeklong vacation from reality. Obviously, we have arrived home safe and sound, and my parents who were caring for our kids and dogs did not have to use any of the emergency medical or parental rights authorizations that I had written up, nor did my dogs have to be given to their rightful Godparents. Yes, I know, I need to be medicated for this anxiety! In case you were wondering, which I know you weren’t, the cats are fine too. They had been left in our house without any supervision for a week. A friend had come over periodically to feed and change litter, but imagine how the house smells after 2 cats have been locked inside for a week with all of the windows shut. Ahhhh…good to be home, back to reality. For an entire week I was without children, without pets, without cleaning, cooking, or a job, it’s quite the shock to pull in the driveway to reality, and I don’t think I like it.
Don’t get me wrong, I missed my kids terribly, and my loving animals too, but it was great to just be “me and Adam” again! We woke up when we wanted, we ate when we wanted, drank what we wanted, and left our amazing condo overlooking the ocean…whenever we wanted. I didn’t have to carry diapers or wipes, and the only ibuprofen I carried in my 21 year old sized purse (this is much smaller than my typical mom purse) was to cure a hangover, not to soothe sore teeth. No dog walking, no cleaning the litter box…just me and Adam hanging out and acting a lot like we did when we first met. For the most part, and for one full week, we joked, loved, touched, and laughed like we did 5 years ago. There were still a few times when we argued, or got annoyed, hard not to do that when we’re spending 24 hours together every day, but the vacation was great, we were great.
Annnnd then…home. We picked the kids and dogs up from my parent’s house, made a quick stop at Meijer, and we headed home. Presley cried the whole ride, Ben asked his rather annoying “why” about everything that we said, and the dogs proceeded to smear their noses all over the windows in the back of my Durango. When we arrived home and walked through the door, we were quickly reminded of the mess that we had left. Usually, before vacations, or leaving for the weekends, I try to get the house in order and cleaned up, but there just wasn’t time before this vacation. And when I say there was no time, I mean that I checked out of reality about a week and a half ago and stopped cleaning, cooking, and did only the bare necessities to get by until our real vacation actually started. Most of our day yesterday was spent cleaning, getting snacks and dinner around, organizing, and working on Adam’s vehicle that apparently “went on vacation” too and decided not to start once we arrived home! It is good to be home, I guess…but it’s only been a day and I already miss my vacation from reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment