Thursday, September 6, 2012

Our new dog food


            I was feeling a little guilty about being a very irresponsible pet owner today. When I woke up this morning and began the morning routine of filling the dog bowls and leading them to their kennel, I realized that I was completely out of dog food. I couldn’t let my two fur-babies be hungry all day, so I ravaged the fridge seeking something for them. Yes, I know it’s not good to feed dogs human food, but my brain was lacking caffeine at that moment and I justified my decision by convincing myself that human food is better for dogs than utter STARVATION! I gave them each 2 brats. I don’t like brats, and I’m sure when my husband realizes that the pack of 6 brats is down to 4 he’ll be a little upset, but I figured this was better than leftover tater-tot casserole, after all brats are made of some sort of meat I think and dogs naturally thrive on meat…not tater tots. Anyway, after this predicament had finalized and my morning carried on as usual, I headed to work after dropping the kids off at daycare. The entire way to work I obsessed about what kind of dog food to buy. I’ve bought the very expensive brands that claim to be all natural, and I’ve bought store brands…and if you ask me, they eat all of it at the same speed and poop the exact same amount. I tossed this around in my head on and off all day, ridiculous I know. (As I’ve said before...people around me would probably appreciate it if I were medicated) I asked my friends what they fed their dogs, I researched dog food on the internet, and then after while I couldn’t take much more obsession about dog food. I put in a request to leave work early and headed to the store…for dog food. My boss thought I was crazy and assured me that the type of food I’ve been feeding my dogs is probably just fine, but in turn I assured her that I HAD TO LEAVE! (You’re probably asking where exactly this story is going, but please bear with me.) After arriving at the store and placing a bag of the store brand dog food in my cart, and then turning around and placing it back on the shelf only to find another brand to put into my cart, and eventually returning to the isle to exchange it, I realized that I will one day I will become the crazy lady on the street with 36 dogs, 14 inbred cats, and 2 parakeets in a one bedroom house. If you’re wondering, I ended up with Purina Naturals for my dogs and cats…and a bag of the only kind of rabbit food the store carried for my two bunnies. I rushed toward home, picked up the kids from daycare, drove to our house, pulled out leftover tater-tot casserole which Ben wouldn’t eat because “it has white stuff touching it” for dinner, and then went to feed the dogs. They were excited and pleased with my choice of new food. After the kids finished dinner, and playtime outside was over, we returned to the house for bath time. This was short-lived tonight, neither of the kids had patience to be cleansed. I lifted Presley out of the tub, let her have a few minutes of “nakey time” while getting Benji out of the tub. I came back out to the living room to see Mason, our puggle, licking the carpet. Then I smelled something unpleasant. And then, when I went to put Presley’s diaper on her I found the residue of the poop she’d apparently dropped on the floor during naked time. Apparently this happened in the 3.8 seconds that I had stepped away to get Benji out of the tub, and within that same amount of time, the dog found his dessert. I don’t often say omg, but OMG! Next time I won’t obsess too much about the brand of dog food I buy, evidently they’re happy with the kind that my children make.
This is Mason...our puggle.

2 comments:

  1. Alot of idle time on your hands today???? I can relate to Ben not wanting to eat the tator tots.... after all the last time he warned you about "white things" was in the tub a few days ago. Go Ben.... Never eat the "white stuff".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Choosing what to feed your dog can be a little difficult. You can’t just ask for someone’s expert opinion on what best to feed him. Like us, they have their own preferences, although we mustn’t forget that we have to take into account their own lifestyle. A more active dog would need a diet that has more protein, but we also have to remember that dogs are not people. What works for our athletes, like loading up on carbs during training, will not work for dogs for very complex reasons which include gait, cardiovascular physiology, and energy metabolism. To be sure, try asking your veterinarian.

    Liza Bedoya

    ReplyDelete