Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Much too Selfish...Sometimes

          There comes a point most days where I realize that I am far too selfish to be a parent. Here are a few examples:

  1. When I allow your children to have only a few pieces of Halloween candy after convincing them that the penny candy is “the best” and then eating all of the chocolate when they aren’t looking.


  1. When I strategically hide the last chocolate chip cookie on top of the refrigerator until after the kids go to bed, and then justify my action by convincing myself that I “forgot to offer it to the kids.”


  1. When I put my kids to bed early just so I can watch the tv shows that I want instead of Batman cartoons.


  1. When I have my three year old call his grandparents to ask if he can come visit, so I can go shopping by myself. Grandparents never say no to a child.


  1. When I take a bite of their mac and cheese because I’ve already finished mine, and then refuse to share anything off of my own plate.

  1. When I get out of work early, but still don’t pick my kids up from daycare until 5 minutes before it closes or when I get myself dressed like I am going to go to work so my provider doesn’t judge me, then skip work and leave the kids at daycare while I take the day off!


  1. When I convince Ben to take a nap on the weekends because “it’s fun” just so I can take a nap too.


I realize that the older my children get, the less I’ll be able to get away with these things. I know some of you are judging me right now, but most of you have done at least one of these things…and as embarrassing as it is to admit, I have done all of these at one time or another. I really hope that I don’t scar my kids too badly for the rest of their lives, but what they don’t know won’t hurt them, right? Right!!! At least I hope not.    


Don't worry, that's a soda in my hand.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't worried about the drink as much as I was about how Adam is carrying the child.

    ReplyDelete