Sunday, September 2, 2012

My Third Paycheck


            It only happens seldom, and when it does you usually do not even notice it…that’s right, the month that you receive 3 paychecks! Typically when this happens I do not notice an excess in my bank account, I don’t get to splurge on a little something special for myself, and it’s usually over and done with before I even figure out that it was a 3 paycheck month. This month was a different story…or so I thought.  It was the end of the month, I was out of work by noon and looking forward to a 3-day weekend as it was Labor Day weekend. I had scheduled a hair appointment that I promptly drove to as soon as the workplace doors closed behind me, I was determined to find that extra money with that 3rd check and I wanted to spoil myself a little bit, after all I had already paid all of my monthly bills including my new car payment of $300. After spending 2 hours getting my hair done and dropping over $100,  I headed to the mall where I dropped my car for an oil change that I had a gift card for and proceeded to meander through the stores in search of some great deals. I was feeling like a new woman with a few inches of hair being cut off, high and low lights, and a completely new style…you know that confident feeling that you had when you were 19 and you just knew everyone stared as you walked by, well I had that. I had about 30 minutes to kill and within this time I found a shirt that cost me $0.63, a pair of shoes that rang up for $7, and a pair of running shorts that were on clearance for $5. Couldn’t beat that, again with my confidence beaming, I strolled back through the mall to Sears, where my car was awaiting. I handed my gift card for the oil change to the cashier and the card covered the exact amount of the oil change…another amazing deal! Yes, so a trip to the mall and an oil change cost me $12.63, this is a first, and probably a last for me, but I was excited and called everyone on my way home to tell them about my amazing afternoon. (Yes, these are the things that excite me these days…I know, lame.) While driving home, I hit the drive-thru teller at the bank to withdraw my bi-weekly daycare payment and headed to daycare to pick the kiddos up and be home in time for dinner. During dinner, Adam and I talked about the day, discussed the amount still in our checking accounts after the recent paycheck, and continued to eat. I thought it was a bit ironic that I still had such an excess in my account, especially after my car payment, daycare, and my hair appointment had all come out of the one check. I pushed it to the back of my mind convincing myself that it must be the extra paycheck this month! The night concluded, and the next day rolled around. Adam went to work as usual on Saturday and I had the day to burn. I called my mom and asked her if she’d like to go with me to buy a pair of running shoes. In spite of everything, I had a lot of money to burn and I needed a new pair of shoes for my upcoming half-marathon! She agreed to go with me, I picked out a $100 pair of shoes, bought lunch, and headed back home. Adam arrived home a little later as I was dawdling around the garage, he poked his head out the window that looks in on our garage and says :

Adam:  “Do you know why you had so much extra money in your account?”

Me: “Umm..No?”

Adam: “Because your $300 car payment and your $350 daycare withdraw all came out of my checking

  account!”

Me: “Oh….Sorry.” Then I laughed.

 

Sometimes, when I think I have my life together and things seem to be going almost too well to be true…they usually are! I had given him two overdrafts and left him with a balance of $0 with two weeks to go before the next pay. But at least I can still feel confident about my new hair!!!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment