Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Prince Charming

     Growing up I remember hearing my grandma sing, "Some day my prince will come. . .but he hasn't come yet". . .she has been married to my grandpa for over 55 years and sings this when she has had it up to her ears with him!  I never understood what she meant and I actually always felt bad for my grandpa if he came into the room and she was singing her rendition of the song from Disney's Snow White.  But now. . .
     I thought I had met my Prince Charming and I even thought about doing the whole "Princess Wedding" (but my 'prince' disagreed with that theme!).  I met him, I dated him, I married him. . .my prince Charming, my soul mate.   But after we got married my Prince Charming became the grown son I had never had-leaving trails of dishes and laundry.  Being more moody/tantrum throwing than me.  I didn't know I'd be forced to take the 'mother' role. . .that was NOT my plan. 
     Suddenly I understand!  I get it Grandma, TOTALLY get it. . .and I occasionally find myself singing that rendition of the famous Disney song in my head, and sometimes out loud.  How did my Prince Charming just walk out. . .sure there are the occasions that I see little tid bits of that crowned being-the 1 who adored me and did little unasked things to make ME happy. . .but for the most part. . .yeah, you know.
     But last night I realized that I have a new Prince Charming and the ability to raise him as someone else's Prince Charming.  My 3 year old was sitting on the couch with me "snuggling" and his head was on my stomach.  My stomach growled and he sat up and said, "mom, what'd your stomach say? Whats that noise? Why did it do that? Are you ok?"  And I said, "Oh, thats mommy's stomach growling because it is hungry."  And my little prince said, "Oh, mom, I can go find you some food and make everything ALL better!"  HOW amazing is HE?!?!?!?!?! 
     So to all of us who have little princes in our care-it is TOTALLY up to us to make sure these little princes keep their sweet, helpful, strong, caring selves so they can be some Princess's Prince Charming 1 day.

No comments:

Post a Comment