Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Once every 8 months...

    I was lucky enough to sneak away to have dinner with an old friend tonight as my husband agreed to make dinner, give baths, and put both kiddos to bed without any of my expert, supervisory assistance. I'm sure that this will be used against me in a future argument, but I'm willing to risk it after not seeing my former college roommate in 8 months. This may not seem like very long, but the fact is that we live within walking distance from each other, yet we've both become so wrapped up in our own lives that we've failed to make any time to reminisce about college life or talk about old boyfriends...so yes, it's been far too long! Okay, 6:30 pm is our date at Applebee's, this gives me time to rush home after work and try to get at least one kid dinner ready, not that my assistance is needed. I arrive home around 5:30 pm, Adam and the kids arrive about 15 minutes after, and I am boiling some corn and green beans for Presley. I've waited for Benji to arrive home to ask him what he wants to eat for dinner, I knew that if I made something that he didn't want, Adam would have a definite tantrum on his hands...not that he couldn't handle it without me! Ben finally decides that he wants mac and cheese. Perfect! We have one container of spiral mac and cheese left in the cupboard. Add some corn and green beans as a side and we've got a meal fit for a cowboy! I add the water to the container of uncooked noodles, and place it by the microwave. Adam places the mac and cheese in the micro...3 minutes 30 seconds exactly...START! "I WANT TO COOK IT, I WANT TO COOK IT," calls the cowboy. With Presley in my arms, I rush to the microwave to stop the "cooking" so Ben will be able to open the door, press 3 and then start again. I feel a little less domestic every time Benji refers to placing something in the microwave as actual cooking. Anyway, he pressed start and waited at the table to be served. Presley was placed in her high chair only to fill both fists with bananas, corn, beans, and cut up pieces of pork tenderloin and begin stuffing her mouth.
   Time for me to leave, it's 6:15, my dinner date is in 15 minutes and I really want to squeeze in as much time as possible with my friend during dinner! Without question, Ben throws himself to the floor because he wants to come with me, but I was already 2 steps out of the front door and...there's no going back now, 2 hours of FREEDOM were awaiting! I arrive at Applebee's, get seated at a table, and then text Adam to apologize for leaving him with a screaming 3 year old. My dinner date arrived a few minutes later. We hugged, sat down, and before 5 seconds passed we were already comparing stories of our children and our husbands! We spent 2 hours eating, laughing, and talking solely about our current lives. We didn't bring up college once, we did however share pregnancy stories, birthing stories, and fights with our husbands! As our evening concluded and we once again drove in our separate ways (10 blocks apart), I couldn't help but to think about how far we've come in the past 6 years since college graduation. Then, we couldn't wait to get back to our apartment to plan for the weekend's jello shot party that we were hosting, and now we can't wait to see each other to bounce potty training ideas around! Our lives have definitely been transformed through work, relationships, and children, but I feel so blessed that we can remain such close friends....even if we only see each other once every 8 months!
This picture was taken while we were on Spring Break, Senior year of college. Miami, FL.

No comments:

Post a Comment