Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Dinner without Batman?


            My drive home from work today was a bit of a blur as I wiped tears out of my eyes almost the entire way home. I have just started in a new position at work, and was handed my new training schedule on my way out the door today by my supervisor. Although I had mentioned to my husband that there may be a chance of me having to be away from the family for a few days, it became a reality when I looked at the training schedule only to find that I will be required to be away from home for 3 weeks (weekends home) and then a few other days throughout the 9 week course will be spent in hotels also. I am going to have to be away from my babies and alone, COMPLETELY ALONE, in a hotel room for 3 weeks. Shortly after arriving home today and drying my tears, my kids greeted me as they walked through the door. Benji instantly needed to poop, and walked straight to the bathroom, stripped his clothes, left the door open, sat on the toilet, and grunted loudly for all to hear. As he walked out of the bathroom, we went through the standard interrogation:

Me: Did you flush?

Ben: Yes.

Adam: Did you wipe?

Ben: Yes. (while bending over completely naked, hands on the floor, but in the air to prove his point)

Adam: Looks like a clean wipe, good job!

(Keep in mind that nothing seems out of the ordinary here, it’s become so commonplace to ask those questions that I have to stop myself from questioning people at work sometimes)

Shortly after the early evening poop, Ben found a pair of underwear to put on (backwards of course). We stepped outside to chat with some friends who happened to be walking by, Ben followed, in underwear, carrying his Batman costume. While chatting with our friends and never breaking stride in conversation, I helped Benji place on leg into the costume, then the other, and then his arms, tied the back tight…and we now have a muscle-chested Batman on the front porch…in cowboy boots. (This is still normal for me) After our friends continued with their walk, and my husband left for his school, Batman, Presley, and I headed back inside to have dinner. I had prepared homemade baked mac and cheese with sausage for dinner. Benji requested cinnamon flavored cheerios as a topping for his mac and cheese along with his glass of milk that requires one ice cube and a splash of water out of the dispenser in the refrigerator. (This is all still very normal) After dinner, the weather was still beautiful, a perfect fall day, so we went for a walk. Batman rode his bike, I pushed Presley in the stroller, and walked both dogs. Passersby frequently comment that I have my hands full, but any mom can easily juggle 1 baby, a Batman, 2 dogs, and probably an entire herd of wild cats…and 14 grocery bags. Anyway, we went on a lengthy walk, and when we returned home, I got Presley ready for bed as she could barely stop rubbing her sleepy eyes, and then found a cowboy show for Batman to watch, Bonanza to be exact. Presley was laid to bed, and Ben was content for a few minutes while I cleaned up the mess from dinner and the toys that had been carelessly left all over the living room floor. Batman’s grandpa arrived (everyone has a grandpa, even Batman), so I could head out for a 45 minute workout session, and upon returning Ben was put to bed by grandpa and the house was quiet, quiet enough for me to continue cleaning. And with all of this quiet, I became sad again…and wondered, WHAT THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO IN A HOTEL ROOM ALL ALONE FOR 3 WEEKS? No cooking, no cleaning, no wiping anyone else’s butt, no daycare, no cartoons, and dinners without Batman?  It will definitely be the absolute most ABNORMAL thing that has happened to me since I have had a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment