Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Chaps

          To be honest, I’ve been somewhat distracted lately with being incredibly busy with the kids, taking a new position at work that will begin next Monday, setting up appointments with realtors and lenders to start the process of buying a new home, and everything else that happens in between all of the scheduled appointments and daily routines. After a struggle getting to sleep last night with my mind racing, and a sleep that consisted of strange dreams (the ones that make you feel like you didn’t sleep at all), I was reminded this morning that I need to slow down and realize what’s really important.
          Presley was awake bright and early with a snotty nose and a less than thrilled look on her face about the molars that she’s trying to grow. I pumped her full of Tylenol, gave her breakfast, and she was content. I went upstairs to sing Benji awake. I found him on his top bunk. I never know where he’s going to be in the mornings…bottom bunk, top bunk, Spiderman couch, chair in the living room, our bed…could be anywhere! Anyway, as I sang to him he started to move, he slowly stretched and then sat up with his eyes squinting from the lights, felt around his bed in search of the one thing that he cannot be without. His bright blue cowboy hat…to match his bright blue cowboy boots of course! And with his hat sturdily placed on his head and eyes still groggy he was ready to begin his day. I lifted him down off the top bunk and carried him downstairs to his “wake up chair” that he sits in for a few minutes before actually conversing with anyone or having breakfast. After a couple of minutes, he began his normal morning routine with his cowboy hat on. Bathroom, clothes, breakfast and juice. After putting his cowboy boots on, we were about to walk out the door…and then Benji began to scan the living room and kitchen for something. I asked him what he was looking for and he told me that he needed chaps. I explained to Ben that he doesn’t have any chaps, and to try to rush him along I may have mentioned to him that Santa may be able to find some chaps. (Yes, I’m already starting to use Santa to my advantage and it’s only October) Sadly, Benji looked up at me and said, “But real cowboys have chaps.” Obviously the Santa thing wasn’t going to work with this one, but I did reassure him that he is, in fact, a real cowboy, but we needed to head off to daycare. He was satisfied enough with my answer and headed out to the car. While driving to daycare to drop the kids off, I realized that I need to stop being so stressed out. Sometimes all ya need in life is a day off to be a cowboy, who cares about all of the other stuff!

(This is only one of his many cowboy hats!)

No comments:

Post a Comment