Sunday, November 18, 2012

Menards


          It’s rare that our family has time to do nothing, and when we are free to do nothing together, we feel the sudden urge to do something purposeless. Today we decided to leave the house a mess and head to Menards! Exhilarating, I know. I quickly made PB&J sandwiches for the kids, convincing Benji that “it’s the kind of peanut butter without peanuts,” after his rather sudden aversion to peanuts. Adam made a PB&J for himself, I helped myself to a meatless hamburger of which I’m not sure why I bought since I’m not a vegetarian by any means, and topped everyone’s lunch off with potato chips and grapes, which made it a healthy meal! Benji made himself chocolate milk, but refused to drink it because it was too cold. During our meal, I explained to him that most things that come straight out of the refrigerator are cold, he refused to believe me and the milk went to waste. Trying to practice my skill of patience, I ignored the fact that the milk was too cold, and finished my meatless burger with a smile on my face. After an extended lunch because Presley wanted to play rather than eat, we gathered the kids and jumped in the car for our family trip to Menards!

          It wasn’t until we got there that I realized I hadn’t packed diapers or wipes for Presley, or extra underwear and pants for Benji…necessities at this point in our lives. Typically these items remain somewhere in the car, except for today. As Presley sat happily in her own poop, we continued to smell it. She didn’t mind, and like the perfect parents we are, we pretended that we didn’t know that she needed a new diaper. Benji and I wandered off to another part of the store. By now you would think I would have learned my lesson about toy isles, apparently I haven’t. DON’T EVER LET YOUR KIDS WANDER THROUGH TOY ISLES! If you don’t have an intention of buying a toy, it is most definitely a tantrum waiting to happen…and the wait wasn’t long. Benji wanted everything in the store, Christmas lights, a blow up Santa riding a Harley, fluorescent lighting, Stockings, wrapping paper, a leather chair, and of course, all of the toys in the toy isles. After refusing to leave the toy isle and being placed inside the basket of the cart, and then trying to leap out, I left Adam in the store with little smelly and headed to the car with my toyless wonder. He continued to scream in the car until Adam and Presley finally arrived, and then just pouted. Part of this is our fault, a nap was far overdue, however the trip to Menards sounded so appealing that we had decided to forego the nap, bad idea.

          I’m now sitting here in my silent but messy house with Presley sleeping in her crib, Ben finally asleep in his bed, and Adam, next to me on the couch sound asleep. Next time I’ll make sure the whole family has naps BEFORE we head out on an adventure…and as for the diaper situation, the car is fully re-stocked!

No comments:

Post a Comment