Monday, November 19, 2012

A Fabulous Beginning...


            I sit here in my oversized lounge chair and stare at one bright blue sock on my right foot, and a Santa Claus sock on my left foot, and wonder how on earth I’m going to raise two children. I see how my dogs act and rarely refrain from naughtiness, and I again wonder how this is going to work out. I remember when first became pregnant with Benji, my brother John sat me down and told me that parenting is the absolute hardest job that I will ever have, but the best job I’ll ever have too. Being the much older brother that he is to me, he usually has very well thought out and heartfelt advice, and this was no exception. Parenting is definitely a test of my heart and soul, and although I may sound like a horrible person for what I’m about to say, I think most of you will understand what I mean…and if you don’t, I’ve come to the conclusion that you’re lying. Sometimes I don’t like my kids.

            When I get home from work, rush around to make dinner, notice but deny the mess of toys and clothes covering my living room floor, serve dinner only to hear, “eeeeewwwww. It has green things in it” or “eeeeewww…I don’t like _________ (fill in the blank),” I don’t like my kids.  When it seems like all I need to do is take a nap, but that’s the last thing my kids need to do…I don’t like my kids. And when my husband and I have a knockdown, drag out about a parenting technique because of a bad behavior that one of my kids displayed, I don’t like my kids very much. But…just because I don’t like my kids very much sometimes, doesn’t mean that I don’t love my kids with every inch of my being every moment of my existence. And with that being said, here is what I want for the kids that I don’t like sometimes…

1. Happiness

2. Health

3. Bliss

4. Knowledge

5. Integrity

6. Desire

7. Imagination

8. Dreams

9. Love

10. A good dog.

            Some of these things can be taught, bought, or made, but most come from within, and as a parent, I don’t know exactly how to “put” these things inside my kids. I feel fortunate as my parents figured it out. They strategically placed each and every one of these things into their three completely different children at different times in their lives. Aside from the good dog (Eddie the Wonder Dog) in those critical middle school years when nothing else made sense, I’m not sure when my parents “put” these inside of me.  I truly hope that one of these days I’ll figure it out for my own children, as for now I think picking out matching socks would be a fabulous beginning.  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment