Tuesday, December 4, 2012

I don't have time for Goodwill


            Against my better judgment the other evening, I decided to perform one of the most dreaded wifely duties that all women find disgusting, smelly, messy, and sometimes gooey…taking out the trash. Oftentimes, my wonderful husband does this for me on his way out the door in the mornings or after dinnertime cleanup, but I felt an incredible urge to handle it on this particular evening. After the kids were both in bed, the kitchen was clean, and dishes placed strategically in the dishwasher, I cinched up the trash bag and headed out the door. As I approached the trash cans, I noticed that one was full which was unusual because the trash had just been picked up two days prior. Standing in the rain, looking at the full trash can, my curiosity got the best of me. I opened the top bag up, slowly peeked in and found….BEN’S OLD BABY CLOTHES AND SHOES! At this point I was more than pissed off as I yanked the bag out of the trash can and set it by my feet. I knew I had to check into the other bag that had been “thrown out.” A little quicker this time than last, I tore open the big yellow bag only to find MY CLOTHES and the warmest, fluffiest, Victoria’s Secret bathrobe that I’d been missing forever. I yanked up both bags and plopped them in the garage that my dearest Adam has been working so hard to clean before our big move to the country here in a few weeks. I marched back into the house and inquired as to why a bag of baby clothes and a bag of my clothing had been thrown away, to this question the response was:

Adam: “I don’t have time for Goodwill.”

Me: “So you just threw everything in the trash?”

Adam: “I figured Ben is 3 now and the baby that we have has enough clothes.”

Me: “Umm..what about my stuff?”

Adam: “Sorry.”

            And I let it go with the sorry, and by “let it go” I mean that I stopped asking questions, texted my friend about the situation, and acted snotty all night. A little later on, I tried to explain the unwritten rule of baby clothing…you pass it on to friends and relatives, or you take it to a mom-to-mom sale and make some cash. Goodwill has never received any of my baby clothes and I doubt they ever will, I may go to hell for that statement, forgive me.  Adam was blissfully unaware of my attachment and concern about the baby clothes, and I know that he was thinking that I hadn’t missed the bag of my clothes since the last move that we made so I could do without them now, he’s probably right about my clothes…but don’t mess with my baby’s clothes. I don’t care that Benji is 3 and will obviously NEVER fit into infant clothing again, I’m not ready to part with all of those memories yet, unless of course I can make some money! As I emptied the bag of baby clothes tonight, I was reminded of my lil man as a baby and how cute he was in those clothes, and how little he once was. I reminisced. I wondered if I would ever be blessed enough to have another little boy to wear those same clothes and I thought back to the days of when Benji was my only child and how I had time to cook him breakfast every morning before daycare. I decided that I don’t really NEED these clothes, and I don’t really have the space for them, but I felt as if I was giving away so many memories. Again, against my better judgment, I packed many of the clothes into a tote with all intentions of selling it to a secondhand store…someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment